Curtain Call for Class of ’22

(Left to Right) Brenen Olson, Braeden Blake, Lydia Tomandl, Brie Peterman, Max Yantes, Abby Ball

Jay Johnson, Editor in Chief

From The Taming of the Shrew, to The Addams Family Musical, and everything in between, Blaine’s class of 2022 has experienced many shows of varying moods and themes. For some, theatre has gifted them with people they now consider family. For others, Blaine Theatre has inspired them for future careers after graduation.

With the mixed emotions that come with graduation, Blaine Theatre’s seniors have felt a wide range of emotions about performing in their final shows. Senior Theatre Treasurer Braeden Blake said, “While I’m anxious about this being my last year of the hobby I’ve learned to love so deeply, I’m excited about the season lineup. My nerves have also become more relaxed, as I can see the program is in good hands.”

Actors, directors, and technicians alike have found a sense of home during their time in Blaine Theatre. Senior Theatre Vice-President and Minnesota State Thespian officer, Brie Peterman said, “Blaine Theatre has always been such a welcoming community, and being a senior and troupe officer this year, I wanted that to stay consistent throughout this school year.” Peterman has made it her goal this year to keep Blaine Theatre’s environment as relaxed and friendly as possible. “I want people to know that this is an accepting program. This is one of the clubs at Blaine where everyone can be included, and should feel important.”

Blaine’s four productions each season have granted this year’s graduating class with a wide range of musicals and plays. “It may come as a surprise to some, but my favorite production at Blaine has been The Pound: A Musical for the Dogs,” Blake said. “It was unlike any show I had previously been a part of. It certainly was strange having to be a dog for an hour and a half, but I got to meet people I now consider my best friends during that show.”

Many individuals in Blaine Theatre strive to make memories and form connections that they can take with them after graduation. Whether it’s someone significant that they’ve met, or a Blaine Theatre event that they attended, everyone in Blaine Theatre has at least one pinnacle point in their years in the program that helped shape their experience. For Blake, he recalls the time where the cast of The Pound: A Musical for the Dogs did a “relaxed” performance for high school students with special needs. “It was the first relaxed show I had ever done, and I loved the inclusivity of it. I think that with every show Blaine does, there should be a relaxed option for audiences.”

Peterman, on the other hand, thinks of her time in Blaine Theatre as a whole as a rewarding experience. “Theatre has taught me so much about the human experience. Getting to work with such a vast range of emotions, I feel like I’ve become more connected with people around me. My social awareness has definitely grown over the past four years.” She goes onto explain that everyone she’s had the pleasure of working with has shaped her experience. “I think that if I tried to credit everyone who has impacted of my journey, I’d probably be talking for hours. I’ve gotten to work with many different people who brought so many different talents to the table; I learn something new everyday.”

While these thespians prepare for their futures after high school, many consider whether or not they’ll continue in their current passions. For Blake, he expressed that he has no intent on majoring in theatre, but will always look out for auditions at community theatres near him. Peterman believes that theatre will always be a part of her life, and that she’ll never stop supporting the arts, and auditioning. She said, “I have a lot of options I’m considering for my future right now. But I want theatre to be a part of my life for as long as I’m able.”

Both Blake and Peterman are thrilled to see what’s to come of Blaine Theatre once they’ve graduated. “If I could give any advice, it would be to take everything as a learning experience. Theatre is all about learning to love the characters that you play, and learning what it is that you can bring to the table. Always work towards being a more well-rounded person, and try everything; tech, acting, directing.” Peterman said. 

Blaine Theatre has become a hub for artists in Blaine high school, and helps people find their passion for the arts throughout high school. As seniors prepare for their final shows at Blaine, they look forward to getting to perform one last time for their family, friends, and students.  If you’re interested in supporting Blaine Theatre’s seniors and other artists, join the program on February 25th, 26th, and 27th for their production of Arthur Miller’s The Crucible.