The student news site of Blaine High School.

BHS Blueprint

BHS Blueprint

BHS Blueprint

Polls

What new platform would you like to see for the Blueprint?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Overcoming Addiction

Overcoming+Addiction

In 2021 it was reported that 11.3% of people in the United States 18 and older had an AUD (alcohol use disorder), and that is only the reported people, so how many more people are there? How many of those people get out of that percentage? How many people get the help that they need?

Let me tell you about one person, who went through a hard time, but was able to get out of his situation, and help people who went through the same thing.

Tim Mosser, my mom’s stepbrother, started having problems with alcohol, and drugs as a teenager. Things only got worse for a while, as he started getting into legal trouble. In trouble with the cops, and going to jail countless times. 

After so long his parents disowned him, and he was knocking on other people’s doors for a place to sleep. He was alone, he didn’t have a car, a license, a family, or friends who were able to help. 

So what did he do? 

He got around his own negative thinking and went to an AA meeting. Over time he achieved sobriety with the help of his sponsor, and now sponsors other people. He now talks at AA meetings, treatment centers, detoxes, jails, etc. He has sponsored many, many people, and helped them turn their lives around for the better, just like someone once did for him. 

Almost three million people die worldwide because of Alcohol Abuse every year, and in the United States about 380 people every day die because of it. Asking for help/getting help is the first step, and a hard one but reported in 2020 by Stanford Medicine, AA has now helped over two million people, since being founded in 1935.

What’s the biggest challenge you have ever had to overcome?

“Alcoholism as a whole. The process of getting sober. Everything that happened before, during, and after. There were also many legal challenges along the way because of everything I was involved in.”

How did that affect your relationship with your family, and friends?

“My kids, and siblings were never around me, and then after 20 years of dragging them through the mud my parents disowned me.”

What was the turning point in your life that made you want to change your situation?

“I got sick of being alone. Got tired of going to jail for a DUI. Got sick of the way my parents and kids looked at me. Got sick of my driver’s license being taken away from me. Got sick of seeing what I saw in the mirror. Got sick of being on guest’s doorstep.”

What was the biggest obstacle you had to face in changing?

“Getting around my own thinking.”

What helped you the most to overcome that situation?

“Sponsors from alcoholics anonymous.”

What has been the most rewarding piece of overcoming your addiction?

“Having a car, a driver’s license, and insurance all simultaneously.” 

How have you helped other people in that same situation?

“Being a sponsor to help other people to get out of similar situations that I was in. It has also been key to keeping my sobriety.”

What made you want to help others in that way?

“Having had a spiritual awakening by doing the steps of AA. You have to do the steps to keep it away most alcoholics that are introduced to that don’t make it all the way due to a lack of working with others. AA was one of the main reasons that I changed for the better. AA was a big part of me changing for the better which makes being a sponsor a whole different experience. It has also been key to keeping my sobriety.”

How did you get into that role of helping others?

“My sponsor helped me come into the opportunity of that position, so I listened/did what they said.”

How do you go about finding people who need help, and support?

“At meetings of AA, at treatment centers, detoxes, jails, word of mouth, and speaker meetings. Anything with a group of people who need help.”

How has your sobriety changed your relationship with family, and friends?

“They no longer lock their stuff when I’m going over, evident for 18 years now that I mean what I say and say what I mean.”

What is one piece of advice you would give to others struggling with addiction?

“From having the level of first-hand experience you have to be down for the count, and get it good, and done. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of pretty badly mangled before realization of the level of help that you need.”

Is there anything else you want me to know we haven’t covered?

“Last week I received my 18-year chip from my sponsor in front of a group of people at a meeting that I used to be at for being an alcoholic but now I don’t have to go to those.”