The student news site of Blaine High School.

BHS Blueprint

BHS Blueprint

BHS Blueprint

Staff Profile
Tristan Anderson
Staff Writer
Polls

What new platform would you like to see for the Blueprint?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why She Left The Team

A player on the ski team. Why did she leave? Let me tell you why.
Why She Left The Team

Avary Jambik, a freshman on the team. Or at least was on the team.  Blaine has one of the biggest ski teams with a lot of older and more experienced people so because of that she feels very overpowered.

Jambik was on the team for about 4-5 months. She only stayed for as long as she did because of all the friends she made and her love for skiing. 

Have you come close to winning, or won any competitions yet? If so, what place did you get and how do you feel about it? 

I do remember coming close to winning state once, “It was a close tie,” she said. The whole team came close to winning by coming in 3rd place. 

What kind of exercise do you have to do before skiing?

Some of the warm-ups the team had to do was: leg swings, arm circles, hill hiking, then finally we would do legs in the bike room and weight room.

Why did you join the ski team? 

I only really joined the team because my cousin is on the Coon Rapids team. I also just do really love skiing and so I thought it would be good for me. But it was meh, not the best experience. 

What is your favorite hill to go down? And what is your technique?

My favorite hill to go down is a black diamond and I know you’re not supposed to do this, but I absolutely love to just straight shot it. My technique I guess would be sitting low/ squat and bending my knees. 

Have you ever broken anything? If so, what did you break? 

I never broke anything but I did pull a muscle one time in my shin. This happened because I slipped down a hill, somersaulted down and my ski’s never fell off. 

What is the hardest thing about skiing? 

I don’t know, well I guess staying on my edges and leaning with my hips in the other directions around the poles was pretty hard. 

Is there anything you would change about the ski team? 

Honestly I think they should get different coaches because they always talked down to the newbies and treated them poorly. This was one of the major reasons I left the team.