De-stressing for Finals

Elizabeth Gunder, Blueprint Staff

The school year is quickly coming to an end. With two weeks left in the year, finals are in our near future. These finals can put a large amount of stress on students. That being said, here are 10 ways to relieve the stress put upon students at this time of year:

1. Make a study schedule that allows you to study in small, manageable increments rather than trying to cram all at once.
  2. Meditate: Even if you do not usually meditate, a good way to alleviate stress is to close your eyes, clear your mind, and just breathe deeply for a couple minutes.
  3. Avoid closing yourself off. Try to maintain a social outlet to relieve stress. Friends are always good to talk to when you’re stressed.
  4. Exercise: Another great way to release stress is to exercise. It releases endorphins, leaving you feeling great.
  5. Listen to some music to boost your mood and get your head in the right mindset.
  6. Read a good book to focus your mind on something other than your upcoming finals.
  7. Do little puzzles like crosswords, sudoku, etc. This is a low-risk, low-stress way to keep your mind sharp.
  8. Light candles or use soothing scents to create a more relaxing environment while studying for finals. Examples of soothing scents are lavender, rose, and chamomile.
  9. Do something everyday that makes you laugh. Laughing and smiling both help to boost your mood and relieve stress.
  10. Make sure to get plenty of sleep; it replenishes the brain and can help keep stress levels low while improving your productivity.

There you have it, 10 ways to reduce stress while you’re preparing for your finals. Good luck!