The Boys of the Fall Take on Wayzata

Emily Adofo, Editor

img_4281Football has always been an American sport where fans from both teams shout raunchy cheers, enjoy each other’s company, and most importantly hope that their boys will take home the win. For the first football game of the season our Blaine Bengals did not disappoint.

As the clock started to dwindle down many fans started to gather outside of the gates and tailgate to pass the time before kickoff. Kyla Aamodt, who is just one of the many students who attended the tailgating session said “It was really fun, there were people talking and it was very social. It was definitely a cool experience to witness all of the seniors come together to have fun and support our boys of the fall”. When asked if she recommends if more people besides just the seniors and some juniors come out and tailgate before the home games her response was “Yeah! The more people that are there the more fun it will be!”. Before we knew it the gates were open, and people were packing the stands ready to cheer on our Blaine Bengals. Erin Theobald, a senior at Blaine High School stated “The great thing about football games is it brings everyone together. It doesn’t matter if you are a staff member, a student, or just someone from the community. We all have one common goal, and that is to see our boys win”.

As you walked into the stands the atmosphere was filled with nervousness, and excitement. All of the BHS students were decked out in a USA theme to show team spirit, and unity. The seniors were standing up against the fence leading the chants and cheers, and before we all knew it – the Blaine Bengals were about to come onto the field. Every fan was up and out of their seat when the boys came running out onto the field filled with excitement, because they could tell that the Bengals were ready to win. The national anthem was sung, and the kickoff started the game. The Bengals were the receiving team, but with the first kick they only gained a few yards. Slowly but surely the Bengals called out plays, and took the ball down the field to score a touchdown. Touchdown after touchdown and the Bengals were the leading team on the score board. Going into the fourth quarter our boys had the confidence to take the game, and beat Wayzata. The game winning play of the night was when Sam Gerrety intercepted the ball and scored the game winning touchdown. The Bengals ended that night with a win of 33-21.

After both teams shook hands, the student section stormed the field to congratulate our Blaine Bengals for winning the very first football game of the season. The field was filled with excitement, and joy. The next game is against Coon Rapids, and it is a home game. We hope to see you all there in support of our Boys of the Fall in hopes of yet another win.