Strangest Teacher Award Goes To…

Strangest Teacher Award Goes To...

Elizabeth Gunder, Featured Staff

Even if you didn’t take Honors Physical Science when you were a freshman, you probably have heard of or even talked to Mr. Overgaard. He is by far the most outrageous, funniest teacher I have ever had. He isn’t afraid to be weird, and that makes him a better teacher. The best part of Mr. Overgaard’s class is definitely his wacky stories. Nearly every lesson Mr. Overgaard teaches comes with a story. Sometimes the story will not pertain to his lesson at all, but he gets sidetracked and ends up making kids laugh until they need water. He always seems to pull it all together in the end and leave the class with more knowledge than they arrived with.

Ranad Ghalban is a freshman who takes Mr. Overgaard’s class. “I don’t really pay attention, but my favorite story would be the one he told about that stalker girl, who he thought was following him, but it ended up to be his neighbor,” says Ranad when asked what her favorite Mr. Overgaard story. This story was brought up after talking about covalent bonds.

Mikaela Sharon, a senior at BHS, had Mr. Overgaard’s class when she was a freshman. She said she had learned a lot in that class and remembers some pretty funny moments. “I remember him talking about dancing with his wife!” Mikaela doesn’t remember much from her freshman year, but she knows it was a great class and she really enjoyed it.

Mr. Overgaard shares so many stories with his students because he believes they help the students remember content that will be on tests. “It serves a dual purpose. A lot of my stories relate to class. It helps them get engaged in class, but can be funny too.” Mr. Overgaard admits that he thinks he is a good storyteller, and this helps to get kids involved in class. It’s much easier to remember school lessons when you have something funny or odd associated with that lesson. When asked if he thought his stories affected his students, Mr. Overgaard responded, “I know they do. There are several kids later on who will tell me how they remember the stories I told.” The silly stories and all the other odd things that go on in Mr. Overgaard’s classroom are pertinent to class (most of the time). Students benefit greatly from all the strange happenings and somehow end up learning a lot in that class. Everything works out for the best in the end.