A Review of Mean Girls: Teen Movie with Deeper Meaning

Miranda Sigler, Guest Writer

MeanGirlsSoundtrackThe movie Mean Girls is exactly what the title implies. Mean Girls is filled with hilarious scenes about teenage girl drama, cliques, and the aspects of high school life. When 15 year old Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) enters public high school for the first time, her world is turned upside down. In the midst of finding her place among all the chaos, she meets two outcasts: Janis Ian (Lizzy Caplan) and Damian (Daniel Franzese). The two decide to take Cady under their wing, and show her the ropes of public high school. Janis and Damian expertly map out the different subcultures of their school for Cady: the jocks, the preps, the mathletes, and many more.
During the first week, Cady finds herself face to face with Regina George (Rachel McAdams), the gorgeous and intimidating leader of the most popular clique, The Plastics. “Evil takes a human form in Regina George,” states Janis. Cady unknowingly falls for Regina’s handsome and athletic boyfriend, which creates major drama in the girl world. After Regina purposely humiliates Cady at a party, Cady, Janis and Damian formulate a plan to demolish Regina’s “Queen Bee” status.
imagesIn order to execute their plan, Cady pretends to be friends with The Plastics. Once accepted into the group, she does everything in her power to take down Regina. A few things Cady accomplishes is replacing Regina’s face cream with foot cream, tricking her into eating protein bars that make her gain weight, turning the other members of the clique against her, and stealing her boyfriend. During this process, Cady realizes that this sabotage is no longer a hobby, but an obsession. This obsession causes her to lose the trust of people she cares about, including her favorite math teacher, Ms. Norbury (Tina Fey).
After obtaining Regina’s “Queen Bee” status, Cady realizes that her newly gained popularity is nothing compared to what she thought it would be. Even though she is technically on the top of the social pyramid, Cady discovers that popularity is just an illusion. After apologizing to her parents, friends, Ms. Norbury, and even Regina, Cady gains her normal life back. She joins the Mathletes Club, and even ends up with her crush. The Plastics break up, but they learn how to get along, and find their places with different friends.
535ea481245ef3601913b96b_mean-girls-anniversary-10-yearsMean Girls has deeper meaning besides a comedy about high school girls. This movie enforces, and even over emphasises the teen stereotypes. Instead of the typical ending, where the jock falls in love with the nerd and the mean girl is outcasted, the movie shows how cliques and stereotypes in high school can be easily eliminated. Cady and Regina learn how to get along, and they start to interact with people from a variety of different activities. Mean Girls also illustrates the false glorification of popularity. Once Cady gains her popularity, she realizes how alone she really is.
Written by Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey, Star Magazine deems Mean Girls “Viciously Funny!”. Even though this is your perfect Friday night comedy, Mean Girls posses more quality than the average teenage movie.