The Martian by Andy Weir Blends Humor With Its Thrilling Character and Plot Development, A BHS Blueprint Book Review

“Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped” (Weir 154).

Joel Freecheck, Editor-in-Chief

MARTIAN BOOK COVER

The Martian by Andy Weir is sheer gold, a book reminiscent in quality of H.G. Well’s masterpiece ‘War of the Worlds‘, and a breathtaking novel on it’s own accord.” – Joel Freecheck, the BHS Blueprint

***AWARD WINNING ARTICLE: BEST OF SNO***

A book that should’ve only taken me a day or two to finish kept me up all night, and left me in awe when I read it’s final words. The Martian by Andy Weir is a perfect example of modern science-fiction.

I found this book by mistake, and instead was shopping on Amazon for Red Rising by Pierce Brown (A book I will review later this month) and The Martian was listed under similar books. I ended up reading this book before Red Rising, since I decided to read the first page before placing it in my “to-be read pile”, and I was hooked immediately. The novel became an obsession, it was unique in regards to modern sci-fi books, and utilized humor so well it made Mark Watney, the book’s protagonist seem real, with an active personality.

The Martian is set in the near future, not dystopian near future where the world is ruined, but just slightly more technologically advanced. Mark Watney and his crew landed on Mars six days before the novel starts, and by some horrible luck, he ends up stranded alone on the red planet, thought of by NASA and Earth as dead. The book explores Mark’s push for survival, and with a little of Watney’s wit and a ton of duct tape, the story concludes in a bang.

Imagine Dragons “Smoke + Mirrors” Album Review

What fascinated me the most as an aspiring author is the way Weir weaves comicality with conflict. He for the most part does this without a flaw, allowing the book to flow smoothly through even the most exhilarating parts. Andy Weir also inputs an exorbitant amount of detail and realism to the text, creating a plot that is believable, and clings to you weeks after you finish the novel. It’s as though Weir sculpted Mark Watney after himself, stating: “I can’t wait till I have grandchildren. When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!” (Weir 226).

I would recommend The Martian to everyone I know. Not just my parents or my friends, but my neighbors, classmates, and teachers as well. The book is bound to reach the #1 international bestseller position by the end of 2015. A film adaptation directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Gladiator) and starring Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain hits theaters in November, which will further book sales. Also I have personally reached out to the author Andy Weir through email regarding his next project, and by early next year Weir will publish his sophomore novel, oh the sweet anticipation.

If you’re interested in buying The Martian, please click here to view the novel’s Amazon page and here for it’s B&N page.

You can also follow Andy Weir here on Facebook and the BHS Blueprint here as well.

Thanks for reading, Joel Freecheck.