The student news site of Blaine High School.

BHS Blueprint

• FIT FOR THE FUTURE REFERENDUM PASSES!

• Blueprint meetings are Wednesdays, in room 148 after school from 2:30 to 3:00.

A Policy Concerning Cell Phones

Courtesy of www.pcmag.com
or PC Magazine

Courtesy of www.pcmag.com or PC Magazine

Jake Pickett, Blueprint Staff

Prompt: Should a policy be put into place, allowing teachers to collect a student’s cellular device before class, then return the prized possession back to the student when the period has ended.

Pro/Against: Pro

The question at hand is; should a policy be put into place, allowing teachers to collect a student’s cellular device before class, then return the device at the end of the period.

I believe such policy should exist. A cell phone puts a student’s brain on hold; according to Rampages.us, a human’s IQ decreases 10 points while on a cellular device; meaning that if a student’s cell phone is present during the class period that student will have a harder time grasping what is being taught, making gaps in the student’s education that will affect their test scores and their common knowledge in the long run.

In general, a cellphone is not made for the benefit of a student’s life. The purpose of a cell phone is to persuade and distract, to give a person the sense of accomplishment that means nothing in the real world. CBSnews.com states that “every time you check it (your cell phone) you’re pulling a lever to see if you get an award” this statement shows that a person, more likely a student, is easily manipulated by their cellular device. What most don’t understand is that being on your cell phone during class, in retrospect is exactly what the makers of the device want, they strive for a person to be on their cell phone as much as possible; because the more time spent using their product, the more money they can potentially make. Leaving a student clueless when it comes to their school work.

Cell phones are fairly new to the classroom, they have only been obtained by students within the last ten-to-fifteen years. Now, according to CNN.com; over 50% of teens agree with their parents that they spend too much time on their mobile devices. The time spent “gaming” or “commenting on social media” during the class period is a waste of not only the teachers but the students time, time that could be spent on learning new subjects. A teacher collecting a student’s cell phone before class creates a more profound learning environment while demonstrating to a student that they can function without their phone being within an arm’s reach.

In conclusion, due to the decrease of a human’s IQ while using a Cellular device, the discipline showing that a student can strive without their device, and the disrespect that is shown by a student using their phone while the teacher is in lecture; I believe that this is a policy that would benefit all students, teachers, and the overall learning environment of our school.