The student news site of Blaine High School.

BHS Blueprint

• FIT FOR THE FUTURE REFERENDUM PASSES!

• Blueprint meetings are Wednesdays, in room 148 after school from 2:30 to 3:00.

Blaine’s Bathroom Issue’s: What are they and how do they affect you?

Campbell Mclaren, Rift Farrell, and Kyle Crain

Bathrooms are very important facilities especially in public places, however, it seems that some Blaine students are unwilling to use the restrooms here in Blaine high school for a variety of reasons. Bathrooms are often very private place’s so most people prefer not to talk about them, but in a recent study taken on the 6th and 7th of April 2017, 24 students responded.

Of the twenty-six students who were interviewed twelve students said that they did use the restrooms at Blaine and the other twelve said they did not regularly use the bathrooms at Blaine. After asking these students we asked the different follow-up questions based on their answer.

If they said yes, we asked if they ever saw any garbage or any dirt in the bathroom, as well as noticed a stench looming in the bathroom. Of the twelve people who said yes, three said there was garbage of some kind on the ground.

Three others said there was a smell, four students said that the bathrooms were dirty, and the last two said that the bathrooms were not dirty one of those students Nolan Hickey was quoted as saying that “The bathrooms are clean, It’s the people who use them that are dirty.”

Of the twelve people who said they don’t use the bathrooms at Blaine, four of the students said they didn’t use the bathroom because of privacy reasons. Six students said that it was due to the dirtiness of the bathrooms, and two students said that the reason they didn’t use the bathroom at Blaine is because they didn’t have enough time to use the restroom.

one student, Bryan, even said the bathrooms were clean he just never use them due to a lack of time. After Interviewing students we asked some questions to the janitorial staff to verify some of our previous information and get their side of the story.

When we spoke with them, they explained the first things they do when cleaning the bathrooms is look at the floors and check the supplies in the bathrooms. This is usually done after school or an event.

They also explained that the school was built in 1972 and that it was originally built to hold 2,000 students, but in 1992, a new addition was built on the school and it was able to hold more.

The school now holds over 3,000 students however, the building did not supply enough bathrooms to hold them all. According to some students the bathrooms smell, The custodians explained that this is due to a ventilation problem.

It’s currently being addressed they said the exhaust fan needs a replacement rotor and that it should be fixed when the weather improves. When we asked the janitors if students ever complained about the cleanliness of the bathrooms they replied saying that students almost never complain. In fact perhaps only once a month.

They said to use that on bad days in the bathroom students would smash fruit and dump out the trash can one custodian who wished to remain anonymous was quoted as saying:
“Kids just need to learn a little more respect for the building and for the others who use it, because they’re not the only people who use the bathrooms.”